Amara Marketing Intern
Amara is looking for innovative, highly motivated Social Media and Outreach interns to develop and execute creative strategies for amara.org. Interns will focus on creating greater awareness for Amara, and engaging the Amara subtitling community.
This role will work directly with the Executive Director, Chief Operations and Sustainability Officer, Program Managers, and Product Development Manager as well as many other staff members.
Possible areas of focus (based on experience and interest)
Social media: Create, develop, and manage content for Amara social media channels, blog, and community newsletters, and interact with Amara community members on these channels; assist in the development of an overall user communication and social media strategy; draft, edit, and proofread marketing copy.
Events: Plan and coordinate (virtual) events and initiatives to bring the Amara community together online and offline; and generate awareness of our offerings in the localization space.
Outreach: Perform research and assist in developing outreach campaigns and strategies to attract new users or groups to Amara.
Research and Design: Help execute design research to better understand the needs and values of our current user base to identify appropriate new verticals; conduct SWOT analysis to identify opportunities.
- 3 positions available
- 3 months
- 8-15 hours per week
- Modest honorarium following successful completion of the program
- Potential for employment following successful completion of the program
- Course credit (where available)
Skills, Traits and Abilities
- Exceptional writing, editing, and communication skills
- Enthusiastic, proactive, self-motivated
- Creative, flexible, open-minded, quick learner
- Passionate about helping others; you’re ready to take action and want to make a difference!
- Pursuing a degree in marketing, communication, public relations, or related field
You can demonstrate some of following
- Creativity and documented immersion in social media (please share links to profiles as examples)
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of social media platforms (in particular Facebook, Twitter) and their respective participants
- Contributor or creator of blog or personal publication (please share link as example)
- Experience with Wordpress
- Basic or intermediate knowledge of SEO and interest in broadening this expertise
- Coursework or experience in UX design or design thinking
While internet video has exploded, language is still a significant barrier to education, economic opportunity, political participation, and other areas of cultural life.
Amara connects millions of people to help break down these barriers and allows hundreds of organizations to make their content more accessible through innovative technology. Some of these include TED Talks, GitHub, Moderskeppet, Scientific American, and many more.
Amara is a project of the Participatory Culture Foundation (PCF), a nonprofit 501c3. We pursue our mission to create a more participatory and inclusive world by fostering a media ecosystem that enables everyone to benefit from online video content. Engaging our online community to interact with others using the platform can take us to a new level of fulfilling our mission by encouraging meaningful human connections within our user base, and leading by example to a more understanding and caring society.
PCF develops technology and services that ensure everyone has access to all that the internet has to offer. From the abundance of free education available, to gaining insights about the many different cultures around the globe, information is critical to building a more equitable and peaceful society. Amara is the flagship project of PCF.
How We Work
Amara is based out of Massachusetts, but the team is global and works virtually. You’ll be collaborating with a talented and passionate team striving to make positive social impact.
The team uses chat and video apps (Skype, Slack, Google Hangouts) as well as email for internal communication.
We are an inclusive workplace, where all team members have a voice. We encourage participation and engagement. Our diversity in backgrounds and life experiences makes us unique and helps us innovate. On our team you’ll find incredibly talented professionals who are also musicians, avid dessert connoisseurs, beer brewers, pet fanciers, master chess players, gardeners, and many other stripes!
To apply, send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover letter or personal statement
- Resumé or CV
- What makes you stand out as a candidate? (140 characters or less)
Our Commitment to Diversity
The work of the Participatory Culture Foundation is strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and much more. We welcome applications from people of color, women, the LGBTQIA community, and persons with disabilities.