Amara Product And Ux Designer
Participatory Culture Foundation (PCF) is seeking a creative individual who is passionate about designing highly usable and innovative software. Our ideal candidate is curious, organized, and has a desire to make the world a better place!
PCF is a nonprofit working to build a more open, collaborative, and inclusive world. Our flagship initiative, Amara, is a platform for collaborative subtitling and translation of video. Individuals and communities, as well as some of the largest companies, from around the world use Amara to subtitle video. The platform has enabled tens of millions of viewers to fully engage with videos that would otherwise be inaccessible!
The PCF team is fully distributed across 6 countries and communicates through chat applications, emails, and video conferences. We are looking for someone who is able to work well independently, is self-motivated, and has great attention to detail. Our new designer will help cultivate a user-centered design culture in a 100% remote organization.
The position is part-time, contract-to-hire beginning at 12-20 hours per week with possibilities for growth.
- Gain a deep understanding of the user-experience for Amara (a SaaS solution for captioning and translating video)
- Define problems, map user journeys, prototype interactions
- Work closely with Product Manager and Engineering team to turn designs into functional software
- Seek out and coordinate feedback on designs and prototypes from internal and external stakeholders throughout an iterative design process
- Champion both users and the engineering team’s needs and constraints
- Conduct design research to identify new user needs and better understand known issues
- At least 3 years experience in product and UX design
- A strong portfolio that illustrates your experience and skillset
- Foundation in interactive design tools
- Experience working in a cross-functional agile team
- Ability to deliver clean, well-thought out interface design elements
- Ability to understand overlapping user needs and conceptualize solutions
- Ability to work remotely and autonomously, as well as collaboratively
- Strong communication skills
Nice to Have
- Front end web development skills (HTML / CSS / JS)
While internet video has exploded, language is still a significant barrier to education, economic opportunity, political participation, and other areas of cultural life. Amara connects millions of people to help break down these barriers and allows hundreds of organizations to make their content more accessible through innovative technology.
Amara is a project of the Participatory Culture Foundation (PCF), a nonprofit 501c3. We are driven by our mission to foster a media ecosystem that enables everyone to benefit from online video content. Content that can enrich lives, but is not currently available to those who cannot hear or understand the language of the video. We believe a participatory and inclusive world leads to a more understanding and caring society.
PCF develops technology and services that ensure everyone has access to all that the internet has to offer. From the abundance of free education available, to gaining insights about the many different cultures around the globe, information is critical to building a more equitable and peaceful society.
How We Collaborate
Engineers will work closely with our Product Development & Design team to bring new features and functionality to life on the Amara platform.
Amara and PCF is based out of Massachusetts, but the team is global and works virtually. You’ll be collaborating with a talented and passionate team striving to make positive social impact.
The team uses chat and video apps (Skype, Slack, Google Hangouts) as well as email for internal communication. Please note that the team has members working in both US and European timezones, so those in UTC +0 to +4 are especially encouraged to apply.
We are an inclusive workplace, where all team members have a voice. We encourage participation and engagement. Our diversity in backgrounds and life experiences makes us unique and helps us innovate. On our team you’ll find incredibly talented professionals who are also musicians, avid dessert connoisseurs, beer brewers, pet fanciers, master chess players, gardeners, and many other stripes!
Please send the following to email@example.com
- Cover letter or personal statement
- Resumé or CV
- PDF or link to a product design portfolio
- Email subject: UX Designer Application
Note: Please be sure to use the email subject “UX Designer Application” or we may miss out on reviewing your application. Thanks!
Our Commitment to Diversity
The work of the Participatory Culture Foundation is strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and much more. We welcome applications from people of color, women, the LGBTQIA community, and persons with disabilities.