Amara Product Manager
Participatory Culture Foundation (PCF) is seeking a full time Product Manager for our flagship software product. Our ideal candidate is analytical with a strong background in data-driven decision making and has a desire to make the world a better place!
PCF is a nonprofit working to build a more open, collaborative, and inclusive world. Our flagship product, Amara, is a platform for collaborative subtitling and translation of video. Individuals and communities, as well as some of the largest companies, from around the world use Amara to subtitle video. The platform has enabled hundreds of millions of viewers to fully engage with videos that would otherwise be inaccessible!
The PCF team is fully distributed across 6 countries and communicates through chat applications, emails, and video conferences. We are looking for someone who is able to think at both a strategic level for the organization’s overall goals and at the detailed level of how to prioritize development and execute on the roadmap.
- Define business requirements for new features and products
- Collaborate with development and design team to determine UX functionality
- Relentlessly prioritize ideas, features, bugs, and feedback from internal and external stakeholders
- Review business cases from internal stakeholders to consider incorporating into the Product Roadmap
- Own and execute the Product Roadmap for the Amara product, ensuring product improvements are incorporated on strategic timelines for the success of the organization.
- Work with engineering and design to clarify requirements and share time-sensitive updates and roadmap adjustments
- Continuously gather key information and feedback from internal stakeholders to inform product development and improvement
- Communicate the value of new development on the roadmap during design, development, and after release, with internal and external stakeholders
- Oversee all aspects of the product development cycle, including reviewing prototypes and user research insights
- Ensure that development team can work as effectively as possible by removing roadblocks, suggesting new processes or tools
- At least 2 years of experience in a strategic leadership role at a software company
- Outstanding management and interpersonal skills
- Strong listening and communication skills
- Optimism and ambition around helping to build a more inclusive and collaborative world
- Systems-oriented, ability to think at both the 50,000 foot-level (org-wide goals and vision for the software) and the 5 foot-level (steps and processes to get there)
- Ability to take initiative and get things done with little direction
- Ability to work remotely and autonomously, as well as collaboratively
- Experience collaborating with designers and engineers to develop and refine product requirements
- Comfortable embracing the experimentation, risk, and resource creativity inherent to a small “startup-like” organization
While internet video has exploded, language is still a significant barrier to education, economic opportunity, political participation, and other areas of cultural life. Amara connects millions of people to help break down these barriers and allows hundreds of organizations to make their content more accessible through innovative technology.
Amara is a project of the Participatory Culture Foundation (PCF), a nonprofit 501c3. We are driven by our mission to foster a media ecosystem that enables everyone to benefit from online video content. Content that can enrich lives, but is not currently available to those who cannot hear or understand the language of the video. We believe a participatory and inclusive world leads to a more understanding and caring society.
PCF develops technology and services that ensure everyone has access to all that the internet has to offer. From the abundance of free education available, to gaining insights about the many different cultures around the globe, information is critical to building a more equitable and peaceful society.
How We Collaborate
Amara and PCF is based out of Massachusetts, but the team is global and works virtually. You’ll be collaborating with a talented and passionate team striving to make positive social impact.
The team uses chat and video apps (Slack, Skype, Google Hangouts) as well as email for internal communication.
We are an inclusive workplace, where all team members have a voice. We encourage participation and engagement. Our diversity in backgrounds and life experiences makes us unique and helps us innovate. On our team you’ll find incredibly talented professionals who are also musicians, avid dessert connoisseurs, beer brewers, pet fanciers, master chess players, gardeners, and many other stripes!
Our Commitment to Diversity
The work of the Participatory Culture Foundation is strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and much more. We welcome applications from people of color, women, the LGBTQIA community, and persons with disabilities.
Please click here to apply to this position.
Please keep in mind that as a small organization, we take great care in our search for new team members. While we aim to get in contact with all applicants in a timely fashion, your patience is very much appreciated. We look forward to seeing your application!