Amara Quality Assurance Analyst
Participatory Culture Foundation (PCF) is seeking a talented individual who is passionate about improving the quality and functionality of software applications. This is a part-time, contract-to-hire position on Amara, a web platform for subtitling and translating online videos. Our ideal candidate is detail-oriented, well-organized, driven to ensure the quality of the product, and an effective team communicator.
PCF is a nonprofit working to build a more open, collaborative, and inclusive world. Our flagship initiative, Amara, enables tens of millions of viewers to fully engage with videos that would otherwise be inaccessible. Help us foster an online community dedicated to making content accessible to a global audience! The PCF team is spread globally and communicates through chat applications, emails, and video conferences. This position is fully remote.
The QA Analyst will be responsible for setting up test environments and validating code changes based on: requirements documented in change requests, existing test cases and test scenarios, and the results of ad-hoc testing. We are looking for someone who is able to work well independently, is self-motivated, and has great attention to detail.
The position begins at 20 hours per week with possibilities for growth. Salary is commensurate with the candidate’s skills and experience.
- Set up test environments and perform functional, regression, ad-hoc, usability, cross-browser, and end-to-end testing
- Identify and track defects in the software and verify that they are resolved
- Design, document, and maintain test cases and test suites
- Work closely with support team to follow up on resolution of user issues
- Work closely with developers and product manager to think critically about the product
- 1+ years of software QA experience in a software development team
- Understanding of software development test cycle and testing methodologies
- Experience creating and executing clear, concise, detailed test plans and test cases
- Familiarity with the Linux or Mac OS X environments, including use of command line interface
- Experience with source version control systems, preferably GitHub, and test management tools
- Understanding of Web application architecture and relational databases
- Ability to work independently to manage individual tasks, as well as work seamlessly within a team
- Strong analytical skills, motivation, ability to learn quickly
- Excellent communication abilities in English
NICE TO HAVE:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, MIS or related field
- Experience in software test automation, preferably with Selenium Web Driver
- Ability to develop scripts in Python
- Knowledge of Agile methodologies (SCRUM)
- Familiarity with virtual environment software (ideally Docker)
- Previous exposure to subtitling or transcription / translation
While internet video has exploded, language is still a significant barrier to education, economic opportunity, political participation, and other areas of cultural life. Amara connects millions of people to help break down these barriers and allows hundreds of organizations to make their content more accessible through innovative technology.
Amara is a project of the Participatory Culture Foundation (PCF), a nonprofit 501c3. We are driven by our mission to foster a media ecosystem that enables everyone to benefit from online video content - content that can enrich lives, but is not currently available to those who cannot hear or understand the language of the video. We believe a participatory and inclusive world leads to a more understanding and caring society.
PCF develops technology and services that ensure everyone has access to all that the internet has to offer. From the abundance of free education available, to gaining insights about the many different cultures around the globe, information is critical to building a more equitable and peaceful society.
How We Collaborate
QA Specialists will work closely with our Product Development & Design team and Support team to bring new features and functionality to life on the Amara platform.
Amara and PCF are based out of Massachusetts, but the team is global and works from multiple geographical locations. You’ll be collaborating with a talented and passionate team striving to make positive social impact. We are a small team, so we treat flex-time employees as fully integrated members of our team while in the contract stage of Contract to Hire opportunities.
The team uses chat and video apps (Skype, Slack, Google Hangouts) as well as email for internal communication. Please note that the team has members working in both US and European timezones. Based on the current distribution of our engineering and QA personnel, applicants who work daytime hours in UTC-5 to -4 (regardless of location) are especially encouraged to apply.
We are an inclusive workplace, where all team members have a voice. We encourage participation and engagement. Our diversity in backgrounds and life experiences makes us unique and helps us innovate. On our team you will find incredibly talented professionals who are also musicians, avid dessert connoisseurs, beer brewers, pet fanciers, master chess players, gardeners, and many other stripes!
Please send the following to email@example.com
- Cover letter or personal statement
- Resumé or CV
- Links to the projects you’ve worked on, your Github profile (if available), and/or anything else that supports your application
- Email subject: QA Analyst Application
Note: Please be sure to use the email subject “QA Analyst Application” or we may miss out on reviewing your application. Thanks!
Our Commitment to Diversity
The work of the Participatory Culture Foundation is strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and much more. We welcome applications from people of color, women, the LGBTQIA community, and persons with disabilities.