Amara Social Media Intern
Posted November 14th, 2018
Participatory Culture Foundation (PCF) is seeking a Social Media Intern for PCF and Amara, an award-winning web platform for subtitling and translating videos. Our ideal candidate is a creative thinker who enjoys building communities that contribute to a global mission.
PCF is a nonprofit working to build a more open, collaborative, and inclusive world. Amara enables tens of millions of viewers to fully engage with videos that would otherwise be inaccessible, and is used by organizations like TED, California Academy of Sciences, and Scientific American to engage viewers in hundreds of different languages. Amara is also a revenue-producing sustainability program for PCF.
The Social Media Intern will assist the Marketing and Outreach Team in promoting the work of Amara and PCF to increase awareness and engage communities that use Amara to make video universally accessible. This role will be instrumental in increasing our social media presence and gaining visibility for our brand.
The Social Media Intern is responsible for coordinating and executing the company’s social media strategy and working across key social media channels including Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn. The intern will help PCF and Amara build impact while gaining practical experience and professional skills in a nonprofit/startup environment. The successful applicant will be a self-starter with an interest in community relations, digital marketing, and communications.
- 8–12 hours/week, with at least 4 hours completed between 9 a.m.–3 p.m. ET
- 12 weeks beginning in January 2019, start date negotiable
- Modest honorarium following successful completion of the program
- This position is fully remote
- Course credit (dependent on your specific education program)
- Drive awareness of our new content by posting the articles into forums and groups that align with the Amara platform and PCF’s mission
- Identify and monitor key industry bloggers, trade journalists, and influencers on YouTube and Twitter and engage them
- Find and aggregate articles and stories relevant to Amara and PCF’s mission and vision to share and foster conversation and interaction on social media
- Develop content calendars and create well-researched, engaging blog and social media content
- Track social media interaction and fanbase growth and provide regular updates
- Research free online directories to generate inbound links for SEO
- Assist on special projects and other duties as needed
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Completed or working toward a college degree, preferably in a related field (e.g., English, Journalism, Communications, or Public Relations)
- Ability to use good judgment and communicate in a professional manner, both written and verbal
- In-depth working knowledge of Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, LinkedIn and Google
- A service-focused attitude towards people, including clients and the teams you support internally
- Excellent planning, organizational, and time management skills, with an ability to prioritize, multitask and meet deadlines
- Ability to work remotely, both independently and collaboratively as a team
- Previous internship or related experience in marketing or communications
- Proficiency with photography, digital videos, HTML, Adobe Creative Suite and graphic design
While internet video has exploded, language is still a significant barrier to education, economic opportunity, political participation, and other areas of cultural life. Amara connects millions of people to help break down these barriers and allows hundreds of organizations to make their content more accessible through innovative technology.
Amara is a project of the Participatory Culture Foundation (PCF), a nonprofit 501c3. We are driven by our mission to foster a media ecosystem that enables everyone to benefit from online video content. Content that can enrich lives, but is not currently available to those who cannot hear or understand the language of the video. We believe making more content accessible is the key to creating a participatory and inclusive world.
PCF develops technology and services that ensure everyone has access to all that the internet has to offer. From the abundance of free education available, to gaining insights about the many different cultures around the globe, information is critical to building a more equitable and peaceful society.
How We Collaborate
Amara and PCF are based out of Massachusetts, but the team is global and works virtually. You’ll be collaborating with a talented and passionate team striving to make positive social impact. The team uses chat and video apps (Skype, Slack, Google Hangouts) as well as email for internal communication.
We are an inclusive workplace, where all team members have a voice. We encourage participation and engagement. Our diversity in backgrounds and life experiences makes us unique and helps us innovate. On our team you’ll find incredibly talented professionals who are also musicians, avid dessert connoisseurs, beer brewers, pet fanciers, master chess players, gardeners, and many other stripes!
Please send the following to email@example.com
- Cover letter
- Resumé or CV
- Two social media accounts or blogs that you run or contribute to
- Email subject: Social Media Intern Application
Note: Please be sure to use the email subject “Social Media Intern Application” or we may miss out on reviewing your application. Thanks!
Our Commitment to Diversity
The work of the Participatory Culture Foundation is strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and much more. We welcome applications from people of color, women, the LGBTQIA community, and persons with disabilities.