Amara Technical Documentation And Support Specialist
Participatory Culture Foundation (PCF) is seeking a creative, self-motivated individual to help with technical support and documentation. In this role you will help users of Amara, a web platform for subtitling and translating online videos. The ideal candidate thrives in a fast-paced learning environment and has a passion for helping others succeed.
PCF is a nonprofit working to build a more open, collaborative, and inclusive world. Our flagship initiative, Amara, enables tens of millions of viewers to fully engage with videos that would otherwise be inaccessible. Amara is used by organizations like TED, California Academy of Sciences, and Scientific American to engage viewers in hundreds of different languages.
AREAS OF FOCUS
- Gain a deep understanding of the complexities of the Amara platform to help support intricate processes and diverse stakeholders.
- Staff the Amara support desk and help with user’s questions and needs.
- Coordinate support with other areas of the organization, including the Product, Platform, and Engineering teams.
- Part-time: 10 hours/week (flexible), USA daytime hours
- This position is fully remote
- Exceptional writing and communication skills
- Experience researching complex issues and finding creative solutions
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and constantly evolving workflow
- Flexible, open-minded, quick learner
- Enthusiastic, proactive, self-driven
- Excited to work in a highly collaborative, global and diverse team environment
- Experience using the Amara subtitle editor or similar platform
While internet video has exploded, language is still a significant barrier to education, economic opportunity, political participation, and other areas of cultural life. Amara connects millions of people to help break down these barriers and allows hundreds of organizations to make their content more accessible through innovative technology.
Amara is a project of the Participatory Culture Foundation (PCF), a nonprofit 501c3. We pursue our mission to create a more participatory and inclusive world by fostering a media ecosystem that enables everyone to benefit from online video content. Engaging our online community to interact with others using the platform can take us to a new level of fulfilling our mission by encouraging meaningful human connections within our user base, and leading by example to a more understanding and caring society.
PCF develops technology and services that ensure everyone has access to all that the internet has to offer. From the abundance of free education available, to gaining insights about the many different cultures around the globe, information is critical to building a more equitable and peaceful society. Amara is the flagship project of PCF.
How We Collaborate
Amara and PCF is based out of Massachusetts, but the team is global and works virtually. You’ll be collaborating with a talented and passionate team striving to make positive social impact.
The team uses chat and video apps (Skype, Slack, Google Hangouts) as well as email for internal communication.
We are an inclusive workplace, where all team members have a voice. We encourage participation and engagement. Our diversity in backgrounds and life experiences makes us unique and helps us innovate. On our team you’ll find incredibly talented professionals who are also musicians, avid dessert connoisseurs, beer brewers, pet fanciers, master chess players, gardeners, and many other stripes!
Thank you for your interest. Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover letter or personal statement
- Resumé or CV
- What makes you stand out as a candidate? (140 characters or less)
- Email subject: TDS Application
- Links to personal or professional projects, writings, media, or other things you have produced
Note: Please be sure to use the email subject “TDS Application” or we may miss out on reviewing your application. Thanks!
Our Commitment to Diversity
The work of the Participatory Culture Foundation is strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and much more. We welcome applications from people of color, women, the LGBTQIA community, and persons with disabilities.