Communications And Outreach Intern
Posted November 14th, 2018
Participatory Culture Foundation (PCF) is seeking a Communications and Outreach Intern for PCF and Amara, an award-winning web platform for subtitling and translating videos. Our ideal candidate is a creative thinker with a desire to contribute to a global mission.
PCF is a nonprofit working to build a more open, collaborative, and inclusive world. Amara enables tens of millions of viewers to fully engage with videos that would otherwise be inaccessible, and is used by organizations like TED, California Academy of Sciences, and Scientific American to engage viewers in hundreds of different languages. Amara is also a revenue-producing sustainability program for PCF.
The Communications and Outreach Intern will assist the Marketing and Outreach Team in promoting the work of Amara and PCF to increase awareness and engage communities that use Amara to make video universally accessible. Utilizing campaigns, grassroots outreach, and community building, the Communications and Outreach intern will help build impact while gaining practical experience and professional skills in a nonprofit/startup environment. The successful applicant will be a self-starter with an interest in community development, public relations, and communications.
- 8–12 hours/week, with at least 4 hours completed between 9 a.m.–3 p.m. ET
- 12 weeks beginning in January 2019, start date negotiable
- Modest honorarium following successful completion of the program
- This position is fully remote
- Course credit (where available)
- Draft blog articles, web copy, marketing materials, and other written content that align with the Amara platform and PCF’s mission
- Reach out to community organizations and influencers with the message about PCF’s mission to create a collaborative, inclusive world
- Start a guest blogger program; identify and coordinate with guest bloggers
- Identify and pursue public relations and media opportunities
- Contribute toward strategic positioning and messaging documents
- Plan and coordinate in-person or virtual events and initiatives to bring the Amara community together online and offline
- Assist on special projects and other duties as needed
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills
- Completed or working toward a college degree, preferably in a related field (e.g., English, Journalism, Communications, or Public Relations)
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner, both written and verbal
- Proficiency in presenting well-researched materials on a subject outside of your expertise
- Working knowledge of word processing and Microsoft Office Suite
- Excellent planning, organizational, and time management skills, with an ability to prioritize, multitask and meet deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively and remotely
- Previous internship or related experience in marketing or communications
- Proficiency with photography, Wordpress, HTML, and Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience interviewing subject matter experts on a subject outside of your expertise
While internet video has exploded, language is still a significant barrier to education, economic opportunity, political participation, and other areas of cultural life. Amara connects millions of people to help break down these barriers and allows hundreds of organizations to make their content more accessible through innovative technology.
Amara is a project of the Participatory Culture Foundation (PCF), a nonprofit 501c3. We are driven by our mission to foster a media ecosystem that enables everyone to benefit from online video content. Content can enrich lives, yet is not readily available to those who cannot hear or understand the language of the video. We believe making content accessible is key to creating a participatory and inclusive world.
PCF develops technology and services that ensure everyone has access to all that the internet has to offer. From the abundance of free education available, to gaining insights about the many different cultures around the globe, information is critical to building a more equitable and peaceful society.
How We Collaborate
Amara and PCF are based out of Massachusetts, but the team is global and works virtually. You’ll be collaborating with a talented and passionate team striving to make positive social impact. The team uses chat and video apps (Skype, Slack, Google Hangouts) as well as email for internal communication.
We are an inclusive workplace, where all team members have a voice. We encourage participation and engagement. Our diversity in backgrounds and life experiences makes us unique and helps us innovate. On our team you’ll find incredibly talented professionals who are also musicians, avid dessert connoisseurs, beer brewers, pet fanciers, master chess players, gardeners, and many other stripes!
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cover letter
- Resumé or CV
- Two writing samples
- Email subject: Communications and Outreach Intern Application
Note: Please be sure to use the email subject “Communications and Outreach Intern Application” or we may miss out on reviewing your application. Thanks!
Our Commitment to Diversity
The work of the Participatory Culture Foundation is strengthened by the diversity of our network and our differences in background, culture, experience, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, and much more. We welcome applications from people of color, women, the LGBTQIA community, and persons with disabilities.